Friday, November 11, 2022

 I  read 'Motivation theories and Instructional design' by Seung Won Park because I wanted to familiarize myself with various motivational perspectives.

The article talked about 6 different motivational theories that follow the social-cognitive approach, namely:

1. Expectancy value theory

2. Self-efficacy theory

3. Goal and goal orientation

4. Attribution theory

5. Self-determination theory

6. Individual and situational interest

The most important thing highlighted in the article was that motivation is complex and multidimensional.   

I used to believe that there are only two types of motivation: Intrinsic and extrinsic. The article made me realize that it depends upon various factors in a child's environment. These factors cannot be ignored while designing an intervention. One must be aware of the source of low motivation for the child.

 Keller's ARCS model shares the attributes of these different motivational concepts. It describes strategies for stimulating and sustaining motivation in each of the four categories- attention, relevance, confidence, and satisfaction.

I plan to use Keller's ARCS model in my classroom in the following ways:

Attention: Student's attention can be gathered by getting a good hook to the lesson. It can be either done by incorporating a funny meme or a joke before beginning the lesson, asking or brainstorming questions, or watching an exciting video at the beginning of the lesson.

Relevance: Sharing my lesson objectives or rationale with students can help them understand why the particular topic will be relevant for them.

Confidence: Giving learners control over their performance can help build their confidence. I will try to give a lot of choices to my learners to choose their projects so that they can have a sense of control over their learning. Also, attributing successful outcomes to internal causes (e.g., ability or effort) and not external causes (e.g., luck or being gifted) will help them feel their performance is in their control.

Satisfaction: Intrinsic reinforcement such as trackers for positive behavior, extrinsic rewards such as certificates and positive feedback, and maintaining consistent standards and consequences for success can help students be satisfied with the outcome and stay motivated towards their goals.

Some of the additional thoughts and questions that came to my mind were:

1. I am currently dealing with very young adults, and apart from lesson planning and creating resources, I'm left with very little in my schedule to work on the extra things that will motivate every student in my class. Is there a way to incorporate all of these within my working hours?

2. The technology examples that the article talks about promoting motivation for the students who have pursued higher education. Will the same technology work for teeens and school children?

No comments:

Post a Comment