Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Seating Arrangement, a Game and Love for Best Results


             The first thing I apply in my Computer Science department English classroom in terms of classroom arrangement is using U-shaped seating. As stated in Thomas Tasker's article, this seating arrangement allows a better interaction among students and  reduces the 'authoritative teacher' image. Therefore the learning can be student-centered and student-initiative increases.  Besides, monitoring students will be easier for the teacher. Also, this gives more space to use gestures, drama and body language when it comes to clarifying meaning for the teacher.
              I also make use of little circular groups as it allows to create group collaboration, cooperation and sense of 'belonging' to the group. I try to have my students seated comfortably to make them motivated and inspired by each other ideas. in fact, they teach each other and there is no stress.

              Forming a large circle, is another way to enhance students sense of belonging and a way I use to wake students up, energize them and put them into the mood.  A game I use is sentence completion done with the help of a ball. I start with a sentence and then throw the ball to a student in the circle. She/he say her/his own sentence and pass the ball to the next student she/he wants. It goes on like this until each student have a chance to say their sentence. In this way, they can have a chance to practice speaking, have fun and learn. 
                
            I also, from time to time, make use of the floor and the walls of the classroom when I am presenting images, phrases or little reading passages. I ask students to work in pairs and go around the classroom and talk about the posters that I put on the floor/walls. In this way, again the student-centered learning and interaction can be practiced. When I teach engineering, the students number is huge, 60+ so I use pair work and individual work rather than group work. The group work is done out of class when students do projects. 

           Physical surrounding and atmosphere in a language classroom hold great significance in a language class as they affect student confidence and comfort. If students are more comfortable they will feel more relaxed and would ultimately learn in a better and more conducive environment. So show your students your interest in making them improve by learning by doing, give them comfort and they will work and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment