Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Tips to Be A Better Teacher




    There are many ways to enhance teacher-student relationship and really help students improve. The coming ideas really improve the quality of teaching:


Community Build All Year Long:
Routinely include strategies and activities in your lessons, such as Save the Last Word for Me, that allow students to express their thoughts and ideas, build relationships, and practice collaboration. This will help grow and maintain a feeling of emotional safety in your classroom. 

    Post Student Work:
 When displays of essays, poems, projects, and exams dominate the walls, there is student ownership of the room. When they look around and see their own writing and thinking, they certainly experience a higher level of comfort than if they see store-bought posters. That said, if informational posters are needed, ask your students to create them.

    Have Non-Negotiables:
 Along with classroom rules and procedures, students must know non-negotiables right out of the gate. My biggest non-negotiable? Name-calling. This resulted in an immediate consequence (a call to the Dean and removal from the classroom that day). We have to tackle such things as name-calling head on or else students won't feel safe to be themselves, let alone learn.

    Admit When You Don't Know:
Students appreciate when we show our humanity. Saying "I'm not really sure. Does anyone else know or  give me time to look that up is much more better than giving wrong information.

    Read with Your Students:
The message this sends: I like to read. I don't just tell you this and grade you on how much you read, I read side by side with you. You see my facial expressions as I struggle to understand something difficult and you see when I feel emotion at a sad or funny part. I am a reader, too.

    Remain Calm at All Times: 
 Once a teacher loses it with a class or student, it takes a long time to rebuild that feeling of safety and trust within those four walls. Step right outside the door and take a few breaths. It's worth it.

    Take Every Opportunity to Model Kindness:
Students will follow.

    Circulate:
Mingling lets you monitor their work, yes, but it also gives you a close view of any tensions or negative energy brewing with groups or between students. Also, circulating gives you great opportunities to overhear a student sharing an idea or question that you can use with the whole class.

    Address Grudges Early On:
If tension is building between a couple of students, create time and space for them to talk it out while you mediate.

    Write with Your Students: 
The message this sends: I like to write. I don't just tell you this and grade you on your writing, I write side by side with you. You see me struggle as I am drafting a poem or letter, and you see me contemplate new words, cross-out old ones and take chances as I revise. I am a writer, too.


    In short, I think that teachers should emphasize the importance of controlling the emotional environment to built a solid relationship with students. They should  be super nice and friendly. Teachers definitely play an important role in helping students  develop character and moral virtues. Responsibility, honesty, respect etc. are reflected when you let them know that you are there for them, set limits, share with them the activities, and treat them with respect. It is really important for the teacher to be the model of kindness. Teacher should not bring their personal problem at school. That's the challenge of being a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment